In celebration of the Independence Day, local clothing brand Araw has announced the release of a new collection that revamps the traditional Filipino clothing into modern, everyday pieces.
The Araw ng Kalayaan collection is the brand’s take on the evolution of traje de meztisas and barong Tagalogs to the terno and polo barong of today. It is also a continuation of sorts of their exploration of “[the country’s] cultural heritage”, a task they have undertaken a year ago with their well-received terno-inspired line.
Mostly of simple designs in neutral khakis and creams, the line includes five brand new pieces:
The whole collection incorporates different textures of silk in their formerly all-linen designs.
“This occasion paves way for us to transition from linen as we venture into the incorporation of Philippine textile native to our roots and lands: piña,” the proudly-Fillipino brand writes on their website. “We now make use of the tropical silk to pay tribute to the historic lineage of Philippine fashion.”
Select styles from the Araw ng Kalayaan collection is now available in stores. The full line, meanwhile, will be up for purchase online on June 12 at 11:00 AM.
Photos from Araw
- Vice Ganda recalls painful childhood memories in “Tutoy”
- Here’s how you can get the limited-edition, Barong-wearing Jollibee Funko Pop
- LOOK: Catriona Gray wears Waling-Waling inspired gown at Bb. Pilipinas 2019
- LOOK: Keanu Reeves to star in ‘Cyberpunk 2077’
- LOOK: Jupiter will be visible from Earth this month