GlutaMAX has issued an apology over their recent ad campaign, “Your Fair Advantage.”
The apology comes after the brand drew flak for their campaign, which netizens are calling “discriminatory” against morenas. It seemingly implies that fair-skinned Filipinos are more attractive and get more perks.
The brand has initially released a statement, reiterating that their aim is “to provide products that empower rather than discriminate.” Within a few hours of posting, however, the post is nowhere to be seen.
Instead, GlutaMAX’s new post bares an apologetic message and stance towards the issue.
In the statement, the brand has acknowledged that they have caused discomfort and pain to people.
“The best intentions are never an excuse for causing harm,” the brand writes. “And for all those that we’ve offended over the past few days, we offer our sincerest apologies.”
The brand says it also believes that talking about skin is a “minefield of sensitivities, of deeply-held beliefs, and should never be taken lightly.”
What are your thoughts on this apology?
- Whitening brand slammed for “discrimatory” ad responds to the backlash
- Bianca Gonzalez, Chai Fonacier, Kakai Bautista react to whitening brand’s ad campaign
- LOOK: These bags will help plant trees in Philippine forests
- Filipino artist No Rome makes Coachella debut with The 1975
- Kris Aquino breaks social media hiatus to defend brother Noynoy Aquino