Share Share on Facebook Tweet Send on Viber

Every day, the gruelling Metro Manila traffic costs the country P3.5 billion. For an ordinary Filipino commmuter, that means salary cut to an already low pay and more exhausting than necessary work days.

But what if you can turn this daily struggle into extra income?

This is the opportunity that a new crowdshipping platform wants to provide for anyone whose time gets wasted on the road.

The Jojo mobile application lets Filipinos hire a package transporter or be one.

A new shipping means

There’s a new on-demand “pasabay” delivery mobile application that connects senders with transporters for fast, same-day delivery of your package.

“In essence, isasabay ng transporter ‘yung package mo to a place na pupuntahan naman na talaga niya in the first place,” marketing manager Eunice San Miguel shares about the app. It also has real-time tracking features, which allows the sender to monitor the journey of the package.

Chief Technology Officer Teng Sorreta, Marketing Manager Eunice San Miguel, and Chief Strategy Officer Jay Fajardo presents their crowdshipping platform, Jojo.

Not your usual delivery service

But perhaps what sets the app apart is its use of an otherwise untapped and sustainable “supply chain resource”—the commuters.

A Filipino commuter spends an hour and six minutes on the road each day, which totals to 16 days of wasted time per year. “If I earned for every kilometer spent in horrible traffic during my daily commute, that would have made it much more bearable, not to mention profitable,” chief strategy officer Jay Fajardo muses.

With the app, the transporter—who could be riding a car, motorcycle, or public transport systems—can take home 80% of the deliver payment while the remaining 20% goes to the company.

Items allowed through the service should be 10x10x10 inches in dimension and can be delivered at P99 for the first three kilometers and P8 for every kilometer thereafter. For instance, a package from Intramuros to Cubao will cover a distance of approximately 11 kilometers. That totals to a delivery fee of P361. Following the 80-20 profit sharing system, around P288.80 will go to the transporter and the remaining P72.20 will go to the company.

“What we’re creating is a win-win situation for both the sender and the transporter,” San Miguel explains. “The sender gets fast and efficient shipping, while the transporter gets to earn extra while on the go.”

How you can sign up

To be a transporter, one must go through an application process where they will be properly vetted to verified.

A transporter, also called a Jojo, is not just any commuter, however. As safety is of primary concern, any current or aspiring transporter needs to go through an application process where they will be properly vetted to be verified.

He/she must also attend a scheduled seminar/briefing on requirements, rights, duties, and obligations of a transporter. Their failure to attend will result to not being admitted, suspended, or deactivated as a transporter.

Once verified, one can download and start using the app to go about their day and pasabay deliveries.

As of writing, the app only services within Metro Manila. The team is planning to expand its services, though, to provinces and even international destinations.

The app is now available for download on Google Play and the App Store. Its services will be in full swing starting March 8. For more information, visit www.myjojo.com.  

Images courtesy of Jojo

MORE READS:

Share Share on Facebook Tweet Send on Viber