It takes 6 hours of travel by land from Manila to reach Aurora Province, a destination where big waves and pure coasts are at. Baler, the province’s capital, is best known as a surfing spot. When I had the chance to visit, I thought learning to surf is the only activity I’m looking forward to while in there. But to my surprise, I went home with stories that are more overwhelming than riding the waves.
I chose to look at things in a different perspective and here’s how every must-try activity in Baler turned out for us:
1. The sound of chirping birds and crashing waves at Sabang Beach in the morning. Nothing beats waking up to the un-alarming noise of the nature’s ambiance sound while feeling the warmth of the sun on your skin. The weather at Sabang is pretty chill and windy most of the time so it’s not going to bother you even if the sun is at its highest peak.
2. The Instagram-worthy pristine waters of Dicasalarin Cove. This place will remind you of the beauty of being pure. Enjoy the feel of being in a vast island where you can truly relax while adoring the breathtaking view of Dicasalarin right before your eyes.
3. Personal connection with people because there’s no signal at Casiguran Island. The moment that we decide to disconnect is the same moment when we start to actually connect. Locals at Casiguran are very shy but accommodating. They will even dance for you because it’s their way of saying welcome and thank you. Dine with them. Talk to them. Be with them. You’ll never know how much of an impact they could be to you.
4. The adventure of driving on the curvy roads to Dinadiawan. If you’re the kind of person who seeks adventure, go biking at Dinadiawan. It’s almost as if you’re riding a roller coaster ‘cause there are sharp sudden turns that will keep your heart pounding everytime. Trust me, it’s worth the risk.
5. Be with the Mother Falls of Ditumabo. Treat trekking as if it is a career journey. Try to reach the top and think of something gold that awaits you at the peak. After all, every struggle that we’ve been through will be rewarded. Except this time, the merit of your hard work is seeing THE Mother Falls itself.
6. Learning to balance during the surfing activities at Costa Pacifica Resort in Baler. ‘Cause if you don’t know how to weigh your options, you’ll eventually fall. Find your strength, put your full force into it, and stand still. The best thing about the waves of Baler is its inconsistency. Once you’ve find the rhythm, it’s like, you won’t know what could come at you, but you’ll know how to go with the flow.
7. Climb and be inside the century-old Balete tree in Aurora. Live your fears and conquer it. Find the beauty in something that you are afraid of. Climb on it or get inside it. The Balete tree is more than just its age if you choose to look from inside its history through the years.
8. Catch the sunrise at Dalugan Beach. For once, stop and live life. Be one with nature. Embrace the serenity of surreal waves at Dalugan Beach, which is by the way at the northern portion of Pacific Ocean already. How cool is that? This beach is craaaaazy beautiful and wide enough for you to shout your feelings out.
9. Remember the tragedy of Tropical storm Lando. It is the most unfortunate event that happened in Baler and they are still suffering from its effects–up until this day. What tore my heart most was the idea that they chose to accept that they are on their own in this battle, without having ill feelings towards the people that should help them. Let us be reminded of how amazing Filipinos are because they are still striving to be better after all the hardships that they’ve been through. Visit them and help them in any way you can. Their lives are as relevant as ours.
See you in Baler soon, yes?